Sunday, April 11, 2010



Adding Specificity To Your Dream
It is a pretty easy thing to say,"I want to lose X lbs."
When you have a desire like this, that you may think it is very clear and specific. After all, you have identified two things:
1) that you want to lose weight
2) how much weight you want to lose.

The more specific the desire, the easier it is for you to reach your goal.

What are some other things it would be good to add to that?

"I want to lose X lbs. by X date." this can happen without even realizing how powerful it is when we have an event we want to lose weight for.

We don't even need to say, "by X date" aloud, because we know in our mind that we want to lose another 5 pounds by our cousin's wedding on July 17th and we picture ourselves at the wedding looking the way we want to look and off we go.

In addition to saying "I want to lose X lbs. by X date." try adding how you want to accomplish this. You may think of adding something like, "by eating the foods that I love and increasing the amount of happiness and joy I have in my life."

This is better, but "eating the foods I love" is vague.

Which foods do you love? How are you going to plan to incorporate them to reach your goal?

Also, increasing happiness and joy is vague.

Even More Specifically...
The more specific you can make your desire the more likely you will manifest it in your life.


Second - Set Your Sights On Your Goal

Here is An Example Of An Incredibly Specific Goal (Which I Achieved)

"I want to lose ten pounds by January 1, 2010. This will bring me to the 100 pounds lost milestone. I am putting on an invisible suit of armor, (I see myself at my goal and I am in great shape and I am fitting into a black outfit like the one Olivia Newton John wore in the carnival scene in Grease)

Side-note I remember hearing an interview where Olivia Newton John said she had to be sewn into those pants they were so tight. I'm not really interested in walking around in something that revealing, but the idea of stepping into something so form fitting felt empowering to me, so even as embarrassed as I am to admit it, I'm not editing it out.

I am going to wake up each morning and slip into that tight black outfit before I get out of bed. When I step on the scale I am going to flood myself with good feelings, no matter what the number on the scale says. If it is lower, I get to smile, if it is the same as yesterday, I get to smile, and if it is higher than yesterday, I still get to smile, because I have the power to impact today, which means tomorrow can swing back the other direction.

Then I Outlined The Actions To Take to Reach My Goal
On weekdays, I am going to drink a 4 oz glass of water in the morning before heading out the door to work. I am going to use Lowfat Soy Milk in my coffee instead of Whole Milk. I am going to eat my morning Oatmeal. I am going to get up from my desk and take a walk around the block before 11:00 am. I am going to bring my lunch and I am going to have a chocolate banana smoothie in the afternoon, if I am craving a sweet.

I am going to come home from work and eat whatever my husband has made for dinner -- but I am creating a special force field around myself. When I get home from work, I won't walk in the door feeling starved. It doesn't matter if dinner isn't ready, if it is another hour before dinner, that will be ok, I will grab an apple. get some time to focus on my two wonderful children and focus on listening to my husband's day at home with the kids. If I am really hungry I will enjoy a 4 oz. glass of water.

I am so lucky that my husband cooks! I will stay out of the kitchen. I will help set the table. As I am sitting at the dinner table, I am going to feel as if I have stepped into a time warp. I will see the food and I will stop and feel gratitude that I am so lucky to have this food to eat. I will thank my husband for cooking it, and I will feel that suit of armor. I will taste each bite. I will make it easier for my body to get the most nutrition out of it as possible by chewing lovingly.

I will help clear the dishes, put the food away. I will pack a lunch for tomorrow that is just right, not too big, not too small with a 3 ounce piece of meat and a 1/2 cup of rice, beans, or starchy vegetable and a cup of veggies. This will give me about one and a half cups of food which will be plenty of food for me.

I will focus on the full feeling I have and put the food away without eating another bite. I will load the dishwasher and if I am still wanting something, I will have another 4 oz. glass of water, then I will get out of the kitchen.

On some days, I may want dessert. If I am choosing to have ice cream I will have 1/2 cup serving. If I choose to have a different treat, I will have no more than one serving. I will get to sleep on time and will some days choose to drink a little water instead of any beer or wine.

By doing all this, I know I will reach my goal of losing another ten pounds, getting my body weight into the "healthy" range on the BMI chart, and I will do this by January 1st, 2010. I will enjoy food more every day as I don't feel guilty about what I am eating and no food is off limits but portion control and frequency of reward type food will need my attention.

This attention will feel like a powerful gift, and not a burden as I am making good wonderful choices that will put my actions in line with my intentions and desire.

I Outlined How It Would Feel Along The Way
I will enjoy food on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but those are two special meals, and not two months of eating with no thought to my desire. If I attend parties, I will shift my focus to the people I am with, instead of what is on the table. I will hunt for my very favorite thing, I will have one serving and enjoy every bite. I may throw an emergency apple or banana in my hand bag, because I have trained myself that those foods leave me feeling completely satisfied.
The next 10 weeks will easily bring me to my goal feeling strong confident happy and in control."

So far a few weeks have passed since I wrote that, and today I brought my lunch to work and went with a co-worker to pick up his lunch at a place that has really yummy chocolate oatmeal cookies. I grabbed an apple and by the time I got to the place, I was happy just to hang out and talk, come back to the office and heat up my food and stay on my plan.

The idea of meeting my goal "tasted" better to me than the idea of the cookie.

The Result, I Achieved My Goal
It wasn't as easy as doing exactly what I outlined. I found I had to draw on new and old sources of inspiration. I shifted the carbohydrates for more vegetables even replacing my oatmeal with fresh fruit, and the weight melted off as easily and enjoyably as I had wanted.

Thoughts on Dreams
The world isn't waiting to make your dreams come true. Everyday the world is manifesting your desires and beliefs.

If you aren't thrilled with what life is offering you, then the great news is, you can change what you are asking of it.

Just saying you want something isn't sufficient. If you put all of your actions into working toward that goal you will achieve amazing results.

When you act in accordance with your dreams then you make your dreams come true.

If you currently weigh more than you would like, then there is only one person in the world who is going to be able to help you achieve your goal... and that person is YOU. And that is a good thing, because this means you are in the driver seat. So let's turn the car on and go for a ride toward the dream you.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote this in November/December 2009, I have been at my 100 lb milestone since January 2010. I am gearing up to lose 5 - 10 lbs and this is a good reminder to me of how I can do it easily and enjoyably. -- Jennifer

    ReplyDelete