Saturday, June 12, 2010

Re-Directing Your Original Desire - A parenting trick

This morning after reading a bunch of books with my daughter Caitlin, she reminded me she needs to eat. "Mommy, I'm hungry. Can I have some cheese monkeys?" (that is Eric's code for cheese puffs, the most processed food we have in the house.)

I said, "Caitlin, let's have some fruit salad!"

"No Mommy, I want cheese monkeys."

I opened the fridge and pulled out the bowl of fruit salad, then said, "Hey Caitlin, what if we have some fruit salad in a beautiful glass dish?"

"Ooh, ok Mommy."

As I filled her dish, she stood on her tip toes. "Grapes, lots of grapes!" so instead of the junk food she had what I preferred she have.

Our inner desire is a lot like my three year old. We want what we want. But when presented with an alternative we can be swayed, and sometimes putting it in a pretty dish can make the difference.

Eat Well,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment