Thursday, March 11, 2010

Changing from Need to Want

What do I get out of being fit and healthy?
Here are some of the reasons I can think of, feel free to chime in with your own.

1) I have more energy
2) I find walking up stairs gets easier the lighter I am
3) I will live longer
4) I am happier when I am in shape
5) I can wear the clothes I like
6) I feel better about myself because I look better
7) I am treating my body well
8) I feel like I am taking good care of myself
9) I am working to ensure I will live a long and happy life.
10) I reduce my risk of... fill in health risk here.
11) I feel more beautiful
12) I feel more confident
13) I feel more lovable
14) I feel stronger
15) I feel calm and relaxed more of the time
16) I like myself more
17) I like what I see in the mirror
18) I like seeing pictures of me with my family
19) I feel in control
20) It feels right

So what are things that I need to do to be fit and healthy?

1) I need to eat healthy food
2) I need to eat the right amount of healthy food
3) I need to avoid eating unhealthy food
4) I need to avoid eating too much
5) I need to exercise
6) I need to change my perceptions
7) I need to reduce stress in my life
8) I need to find more inventive ways of coping with stress in my life
9) I need to love myself
10) I need to feel safe, secure and loved.
11) I need to surround myself with people who increase my feelings of safety, security, and love.
12) I need to drink plenty of good old fashioned water.
13) I need to keep track of what I am eating and drinking.
14) I need to know what foods are healthy
15) I need to make time to exercise.

Now why wouldn't I do those things?

Well, most of us don't like doing things because we have to. I know I don't. The idea that I "need" to do any of the above things means that I will find it necessary to think of excuses any time I choose not to. What if instead of thinking of it as a "need" we re-framed it?

Maybe it could sound something like this:

So what are things that I want to do to be fit and healthy?

1) I want to eat healthy food, it feels good
2) I want to eat the right amount of healthy food, it's better than the wrong amount
3) I want to naturally avoid eating unhealthy food, it doesn't make me feel good
4) I want to avoid eating too much, it doesn't feel good
5) I want to exercise, it feels good
6) I want to change my perceptions, it makes everything easier
7) I want to reduce stress in my life, it makes me happier
8) I want to find more inventive ways of coping with stress in my life, it feels good
9) I want to love myself, so I can give others more love
10) I want to feel safe, secure and loved, it feels good
11) I want to surround myself with people who increase my feelings of safety, security, and love, it feels good
12) I want to drink plenty of good old fashioned water, it feels good
13) I want to keep track of what I am eating and drinking, it makes it easier for me
14) I want to choose healthy foods when shopping, it helps me reach my goal
15) I want to make time to exercise, it feels wonderful

By replacing the "need" with "want" and then listing a reason why we want to do it, we are building images in our minds of ourselves making good choices and that is helping us start to want to move toward a fit and healthy future.


Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment