Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fixing A Hole

Random Beatles' lyrics drifting through my subconscious as I am getting ready to call it a night.

I have been looking for something to read or do that would make me feel better. It's not that I feel bad, it is just that typical restless feeling I seem to get at about this hour that usually leads me to the kitchen for a glass of wine, or a small bite of dark chocolate.

Typically this feeling is uncomfortable enough that I keep searching until I find whatever it is that will get me through the night. That sounds more desperate than I intended. It really isn't that extreme.

In part, I think I have formed some habits that need adjusting. I keep hearing that it takes 21 days to form a new habit (and endless variations on this theme). I think that rule only applies to new habits that you don't actually love. If you wanted to set a new habit to eat chocolate croissants every morning and you already were going somewhere that sold them every morning, then I think it would only take a day to make that habit -- that's if you love eating chocolate croissants.

Coming up with new habits is really dependent upon the habit being something that you would enjoy.

What if instead of trying to squeeze a little bit of calm out of a glass or wrapper, I forged a new path?

I am standing beneath a redwood tree, bundled in a warm winter coat. The mist has filled the valley and is running it's fingers through the fern and whispering along the creek.

Even that simple moment of imagination and I am satisfied.

And to all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment