Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 1 of 31 Day Fitness Challenge

My Daily Plan for the next 31 days is as follows:
1) Start every morning with a glass of water
2) Eat real food.
3) Do 25 sit ups every day.
4) Walk, move, step, march, dance etc for 20 minutes every day.
5) Eat 1 fruit every day.
6) Eat 4 vegetables every day.
7) Get at least seven of hours sleep every night.

Repeat every day - through January 31st. If I meet these goals I will treat myself to a massage at Sumbody Spa in Alameda, CA.

Today's Recap Saturday January 1, 2011
It is almost too perfect, I have been thinking about this for the past several weeks and today is the most amazing day to start. Today is the first day of the new year.

Here is how today went:
I woke up with no idea that today I would actually start my 31 day challenge
1) Start every morning with a glass of water.
I did start my day with a glass of water, but if I hadn't I could still drink a glass of water tonight and meet my goal. The reason I think it is good to start the day with water, is it is something physical you can do to send a sign that you are making deliberately good choices.

2) Eat real food.
I have eaten several real foods today including - peas, eggs, carrot, celery. I also had half a tuna sandwich on whole wheat toast and two small slices of pizza with ham and black olive. We ordered a medium pizza for the four of us. I had a large serving of veggies before I had my first slice of pizza and I had another large serving of veggies before my second slice.

3) Do 25 sit ups every day.
I hadn't done sit ups in a while, but I did just get down on the floor and do 25 of them. I could do this every day for the next 31 days. I have found that sit ups are great for controlling my appetite. When my abdominal muscles have been worked, I find that it is easier to say no to dessert. There is nothing I have ever read in any weight loss book to suggest there is any reason for that - sometimes I just chalk up things that make it easy to lose weight as a weird quirk in the way my mind works. These things may make me seem odd, but they are gifts and I don't question them.

4) Walk, move, step, march, dance etc for 20 minutes every day.
I have an apple computer, I turned on my iMovie program and recorded myself exercising with the kids for twenty minutes. The video recorder tracks the seconds. I had fun, and the kids liked jumping on the bed while mommy dancesd/walked around the room.

5) Eat 1 fruit every day.
I ate a granny smith apple. I wasn't going to, but I am recording my progress and I didn't want to pass on this one on day one. I couldn't get myself to bite into the apple, but I sliced it and put it in a cute japanese bowl. I set it to my left as I typed. The next thing I knew the bowl was empty. If you have a hard time getting excited about the idea of eating fruit and veggies, slice them, cube them, get them into snack size bites and put them in a great dish. Set them near where you are. We eat mindlessly so easily in our culture. Use this fact to your advantage and set yourself up for success.

6) Eat 4 vegetables every day.
I had zucchini, bean sprouts, green beans and sliced carrots with my dinner. I didn't use to eat veggies daily. That is one of the biggest changes I made that helped me lose 100 pounds (and counting).

7) Get at least seven of hours sleep every night.
I am setting my bed time at 8:30 pm so I can get plenty of rest tonight. This is a gift you can give yourself that you get to enjoy tomorrow. It is amazing how much easier the world is to manage when you've had a good nights sleep.
1-01 Saturday - Daily Plan, Day 1 - achieved all goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment