Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 6 of 6 - Week 1 of Treadmill Experiment

To recap the week -- I have been walking on a treadmill an hour a day for 6 out of the last 7 days. I have burned a total of 3600 calories, and walked between 2 - 3 miles a day, so at least 12 miles more than I would have walked if I wasn't doing this.

I'm walking because I am sick of being so close to my next goal line. I have been working on a plan to do something consistently. Many of my recent attempts got derailed by injury. To learn from my mistakes, instead of running, I am walking. To see bigger impact faster I am extending how far I am walking to I see some real benefits. In 6 days I've lost 5 pounds. From what I have studied, some of the weight I have lost this week is fat, and probably mostly water, and who knows maybe some muscle too.

I have noticed differences in how I feel just after exercise and over the course of the day. I don't know why it is, maybe because I haven't felt super exerted, I am less likely to crash. This cascades to keep me from thinking I need to eat something to keep from crashing. I am less hungry in the evening. It is easier to pass on unhealthy options, in part because looking at a calorie burn counter is something that moves in slow motion. It takes me anywhere from 1 to 8 steps to burn a calorie depending on how fast I am walking/running.

The fact that I can see real results in the first week, makes the commitment to Week 2 easy. So, next week I am going to repeat Week 1. Sticking with the Treadmill at 15% for another 6 days.

I will plan to do 6 days in a row, and know if something dumb happens like oversleeping I can still salvage victory for the week.

I have been working out in the morning, on weekends sneaking out to the gym before the kids wake up (leaving Eric in charge as usual) and on workdays getting out the door and onto the road by 6 so I have an hour to work out before work.

Working out in the morning is best for me, because once I finish, I feel more alert. I also feel happier, stronger, and walking on flat ground feels like I am floating.

If you are interested in making a plan to work out Saturday through Thursday 60 minutes may be too much if you haven't been active. Try 10, 15 or 20 minutes and see how it feels to make a commitment to yourself for your health that you can easily stick to 6 days in a row. And if you blow a day or 2, it's still 5 or 4 more days than you would have done -- so you have nothing to lose.

What type of exercise would you like to do every day?

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment