Friday, September 17, 2010

Ready for tomorrow Kick Off Week 2

Today was my day off the treadmill.

I stopped at Lafayette Peet's for a cup of coffee on my way into the office.
I had looked up the calorie content of the Petite Lemon Curd Scone (140 calories 50% from fat with 3 grams of protein) and compared it to the Lemon Poppyseed Muffin (280 calories, but less fat and had 11 grams of protein).

I renewed an old weight-loss trick of mine. I ordered the Lemon Poppyseed Muffin and as I was walking to my car past a trash can, I tossed the bottom half away. I don't feel bad about wasting it -- the alternative was my eating the whole thing, and that wouldn't help anybody.

Now I had effortlessly created a 140 calorie treat with more protein than the alternative on the menu.

The point of sharing this is not just to prove that I my brain is not normal, but rather, or additionally -- that saying yes to something you want isn't a Yes or No, Good or Bad choice. There is a large gray area between Good and Bad and that is where change happens. Lasting change is unfolding, developing, growing, evolving and isn't happening in one big burst where you say, "No more pastries, ever!" Because even if you do succeed in saying no to the lifetime of pastry opportunities, which can be a very long arduous task (if you like pastries)... you will feel the sacrifice of the saying no, and will most likely use that to justify saying yes to something else later in the day. That is what I have observed most of us behaving day to day.

Tomorrow I start Day 1 of 6 Week 2 Treadmill Experiment.
I have my gym clothes laid out and tomorrow I'll get up before the kids and head to the gym. I'll listen to some music and walk for an hour 15% incline somewhere between 2 and 5 miles an hour. Then, home for a morning cup of coffee ready to greet the new day.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment