Sunday, September 19, 2010

Week 2 - Day 2 of 6 Treadmill - chance encounter with a woman in a wheel chair changed my outlook this morning

Woke up at 7 and headed to the gym.
I walked 2.69 miles and burned 630 calories.

Breakfast - Coffee with whole milk, and some of Eric's homemade whole wheat bread (with cinnamon, cardamon, and raisin) with an amazing scramble: eggs, shredded zucchini, peas, spinach, and lentils... and a little bacon.

Now planning to head to Alameda this afternoon for a walk around Crab Cove and to take the kids to the playground.

Tomorrow I am taking the day off work and planning to go to the gym before starting the rest of my day.

Today I listened to Bob Dylan, Cake, Go-Go's, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Elastica, Depeche Mode, White Stripes and Chris Isaak. The four televisions in the "ladies only" workout room were tuned to Lifetime Drama, Joel Osteen, and two crummy news channels. I did listen to Joel (christian evangelist) for about 10 minutes. He spent the whole time talking about the farmer who sowed good seeds but had an enemy plant weeds in his field. He was trying to explain the concept of keeping faith when bad things happen to good people. I don't know if he has figured out for himself that no matter what happens in life, you have a choice about how to think and feel about it. When I had reached my limit of having an incredibly basic concept explained about 10 different ways, I hoped the rest of his audience got it, and I switched back to music.

Moments later a woman in a wheel chair glided into the workout room. She obviously knew her way around and had her routine down, she got the free weights from the rack and started doing her exercise routine. I had been looking at the time display on my "Lifecycle" machine and I had twenty minutes left to walk and was feeling like maybe the 60 minutes/600 calories plan should be re-thought. I had been getting bored on the treadmill. There is nothing like imagining what it would be like to be confined to a wheel chair to make you remember what a joy it is to walk. I finished my routine strong and with a smile. No sense in being ungrateful for the opportunity to walk and get into better shape.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment