Sunday, September 12, 2010

Treadmill - Day 3 of 6 Hills of Connemara

I had been walking about 35 minutes, starting out at a brisk pace with some Huckleberry Party songs. It is hard to walk slowly to the happy child geared tunes. Plus, you feel immature and so walking fast on a 15% incline at 3.5 miles an hour doesn't feel daunting.

Then, I listened to a little of the Rachel Gichert interview again. I realize I misquoted her, because her reason to not run is that running tears down muscle and burns lots of calories. Well, that could be a good thing. But, I like the idea of walking at 3 - 3.5 miles for an hour. I feel like I am less likely to hurt myself and more likely to stick with it.

Then I put on Shilelagh Law again. The Hills of Connemara is a great song. I think I would need to record a video of what I did next, because it is very difficult to describe. If you were standing in place and you have any experience in ballet you'd be doing something that I've seen in the New York Ballet Workout DVD. But, on the treadmill you have to be careful because when you place your foot down and pick your other leg up to gracefully kick it up as you're moving. Probably dangerous if you aren't focused but I was fully intent on the combination of music and how I was moving to it. Music can have a profound impact on the quality of my workout. I am thankful for having so much great music at my fingertips. I can remember when I would have had a walkman and how inflexible that could be to my mood. Although, I have logged many hours over my life listening to mix tapes.

Shilelagh Law's CD is available on CD Baby -- the one I've been wearing a hole in is 1&9

Happy Sunday,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment