Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Week 3 Day 3 of 6 Treadmill - 1000+ calories burned 5 miles


I woke up at 5:20 this morning and contemplated whether or not to go back to sleep.
This little voice rang in my ears, "Get Up!" I didn't need more prompting.
I dressed in my gym clothes and headed out the door.

I stayed on the treadmill for 70 minutes walking at 4.4 miles per hour. I didn't even think that was possible. Nothing like slowly building up endurance to stretch your comfort zone, I was sure I could have kept walking at 4.5 or 4.6 -- but I want to take it easily, gently and not get hurt (again).

I set the incline at Max 15% and watched the Star Track lap red blinkie light move slowly around the oval track. I can count to 11 before it goes to the next blinkie light.

I took two steps per second and that equates to 14,000 steps.

At the end of it, I felt good but was left thinking about how the Star Track Calories burned is about 200 calories different than the other Treadmill at the gym. The other one uses a weight calculation. I looked briefly for a good calories burned calculator. Wow, there is a huge range of calculators, probably best to take that little number with a grain of salt.

That said, if it motivates you to walk longer because you want to see a four digit Calorie Burned number, then who cares how precise it is. You walked a little more because of it, and that can't hurt.

One way I was able to keep up the fast pace was listening to a new Podcast I discovered on iTunes. It's called Podrunner. I listened to Staring At The Sun and part of The Engines of Distraction. They are free. They are 140 and 180 bpm and they wander and meander. I felt like I was at a giant rave, in my mind. It was really easy to lose track of time, even as I counted the seconds.

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment